Greek Pasta Recipe with Beef
Pasta might be the most traditional ingredient you can have in Italy but its also really popular in Greece, with some small variations.
Yes, yes i know, if some Italians will read that, they will start complaining. We don’t try to steal the traditional dish of our neighbouring country, but it is true that this is one of the classics of the Greek cuisine during my childhood. I mean we do also have pasta with seafood but this is something traditionally popular in Greece.
Many mothers, found this easy way to add meat on there diet and cooking a nice and quick meal for there families.
When I was young my mother used to cook for me at once a week or two weeks (if I did behave) makaroni me kima (pasta with minced meat) which was by far my favourite food.
Pasta with minced meat was -and still is to be honest- a classic traditional dish you can have in Greece and you can find still in some traditional taverns. Very easy to make it was one of my late Grandfathers Antonis, favourites.
That’s ideally what this dish reminds me. Summer time in my grandfathers house in Rafina sitting outside at the table together with my cousins. No, its not bolognese. It doesn’t need to have carrots, celery, bacon or too much seasoning. It is the simple style pasta that many houses in Greece are used to make.
Ingredients for pasta with minced meat
- 500gr beef minced meat
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 1/2 cup of red wine
- 3-4 medium chopped tomatoes
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 package of spaghetti
- Lots of cheese (preferably Gruyères)
How to cook your pasta
- Chop the onion in a pan and half a cup of water. Let it boil and when the water evaporates add the olive. Small detail that will help improve the texture of our sauce .
- When the onions starts to saute, we will add the minced meat and stir until it becomes brownish. We will wait until all the liquids that comes out are gone also.
- Pour down the wine and let it boil for half an hour adding water whenever it is needed.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and all of our seasoning and keep cooking for 15 more minutes making sure that the sauce has a lot of liquids. Be careful though not to make it too watery.
- 20 minutes before our sauce is made, start cooking your pasta
- Serve on the following way. Add the cheese on the bottom of the plate and 1-2 spoons of our sauce. Then your pasta, lots of minced meat on top and lots of cheese.