Beef soup with vegetables
As the winter is coming in London the amount of recipes that include the word “soup” in it is increasing all the time.
Chicken soup is one of my favorite of all times, along with any Chinese soups which I really like. I remember that when I was young my mother used to do either beef soup or some fish soup, depending on the fish that she could find on the local markets.
However, for some reason I never really liked it as much as the chicken soup, or the fish soup. Nevertheless, obviously everything changes as you grow older and now i consider it one of the best comfort foods you can have.
The more traditional way of cooking that soup is by adding orzo and red sauce which is still nice, but …well i made some small modifications. In this specific case i didn’t add orzo but rather kept the plain with lemon.
On other cases i just add some mustard. It is equally great i have to say but i guess it is heavily influenced due to the fact that i have spent the past 10 years of my life in UK.
Well… here it is…
BEEF SOUP WITH VEGETABLES AND MUSTARD – INGREDIENTS
- 1 kilo of Beef chopped.
- 2 daphne leafs
- 4-5 carrots chopped
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 1 small bunch of celery
- 3 medium sized potatoes chopped
- Vegetable cube
- 1 lemon
- In a big pot, add the olive oil in medium heat and let it sizzle. Add the beef and stir it well.
- Add Salt and Pepper as well and the onions and let the beef become a bit brownish. Fill it up with water, add the Daphne leaves as well as the vegetable cube.
- Put in the potatoes, the celery and carrots and let them boil for 2 hours. In my case i used a pressure cooker for almost an hour.
- After the beef is done add a spoon of butter and the celery leaves and keep boil for couple of more minutes.
- Serve with a bit more celery leaves and a slice of lemon.
Obviously you can make the same soup with some variations… Sometimes i prefer to add a spoon of mustard rather than butter.