Greek Pastitsio recipe
Delicious greek pastitsio recipe that everyone loves. The favourite food for generations. Is there a better combination of spaghetti with minced meat and divine béchamel? One more delicious than the other, and when they meet together they make the perfect dish.
Traditional recipe that you should try as it is a classic in Greece. See all the secrets to make the most trembling and delicious pasticcio you have ever eaten. Serve it directly after baking because when it is hot it does not compare to anything! Before starting, leave all ingredients at room temperature. To make the pastitsio , first make the minced meat sauce and then the béchamel.
Ingredients for Greek Pastitsio recipe
• 1 packet (500 g) thick spaghetti for pastitsio
• 1/2 cup kefalotyri
• For the minced meat sauce
• 800 g ground beef (once passed in the grinder)
• 1/3 cup olive oil
• 2 medium dried onions, finely chopped
• 1 grated carrot
• 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• 400 g of crushed tomatoes or fresh chopped tomatoes
• 1/3 cup red wine
• 1 tbsp. sugar
• 1 cinnamon stick
• 1 bay leaf
• freshly ground pepper
• For the béchamel
• 100 grams of butter
• 100 grams of flour
• 1 litre of milk
• 1/2 onion
• 2 cloves
• 1 pinch of nutmeg
• white pepper
For the minced meat
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and sauté the minced meat, spreading it with a spoon.
- We do not stir constantly.
- Let it cook well so that it does not lose its liquids with the constant stirring.This takes about 5-10 minutes.
- Then add the onion and garlic and the carrot and sauté for an additional 2 to 3 minutes, until they become transparent.
- Quench with wine.
- Allow the alcohol to evaporate for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato, sugar, salt, pepper, bay leaf and cinnamon stick.
- Let the cinnamon flavor the minced meat for 5 minutes and remove it.
- Cover the minced meat, lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes (without adding liquids) until it absorbs its liquids completely and the flavors are concentrated.
Classic béchamel cream for your greek pastitsio recipe
- Nail the cloves to the onion and put it with the milk in a saucepan over medium heat, to warm.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the flour and stir with a whisk for a few minutes to cook the flour.
- Remove the onion from the milk and remove the pot with the rou (flour – butter) from the heat.
- Pour in a little warm milk and stir well with the whisk to dissolve the flour.
- Add the rest of the milk.
- Put the pot back on the fire and let the cream set and do not stir regularly with the whisk.
- Add salt and pepper and grate a little nutmeg.
In the meantime, we have boiled and strained the spaghetti.
Put them in an oiled deep pan and sprinkle the spaghetti with a little kefalotyri.
Pour the minced meat over the spaghetti and then pour over the béchamel.
Shake the pan lightly to coat the surface of the pasticcio. Sprinkle with the remaining kefalotyri and bake in a preheated oven at 180 ° C, on the last grill, for 45 to 50 minutes.