Sausages with leeks2012-11-21
- Servings : 2-4
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 15m
- Ready In : 30m
Like other kids, I guess, sausages were my favorite food when I was young. Easy to make and tasty, anything that I could ask at that time. However, as time went by I forgot to try and make any nice relevant dish with sausage as the main ingredient.
To be honest I was barely trying. Yeah of course, there is the spetsofai which is very typical in Volos , central Greece, but I was looking for something different.
So one Saturday night, I came up to the following recipe which surprised me in a number of ways. First of all because it is easy to make which is important nowadays when you are looking to eat something nice in less than 30-40 minutes.
Also, the flavour of the leeks, make a real difference..
INGREDIENTS FOR SAUSAGES WITH LEEKS
- 2-3 sausages chopped in large pieces. Ideally anything spicy would do
- 3 leeks chopped
- Around 200gr of feta cheese cut in various pieces
- Olive Oil
- Salt Pepper
- Paprika and some chilli if you want
- A bit of oregano
LETS COOK THOSE SAUSAGES
- Ideally you will need a deep frying pan. I used one of those for Chinese food. Throw a bit of olive oil in there… just a teaspoon and then leeks. Stir them a bit and add water. You don’t want to cover the leeks with water but just a but until the middle so they start to get soft
- If you want at that point, you can add ½ of a vegetable stocking cube..but not necessary.
- As the water slowly evaporates and the Leeks become softer you add the sausages, salt, pepper, paprika and the chili (if you like it spicy) and stir. Let it for 4-5 minutes more.
- Just before the end, when the sausages are ready, add the feta cheese and the oregano and stir it for 1-2 minutes. Bear in mind you don’t want your feta cheese to melt.
They are ready to be served.
[box type="tick"]Tip: Make sure when you clean the leeks, to always remove the outside part of the leek before you chop them. So they can be softer when they are cooked. I didn’t know that…my mother told me…[/box]