The Greek Sandwich
The funny thing is that we always talk about very special recipes that sometimes are difficult to make and need some other times very special ingredients that you need to go out and find.
However, we always forget the most essential dish that someone can make and the easiest one, the sandwich!
Let’s be honest everyone prefers most of the time to make a quick sandwich than anything else. There are different kinds of recipes for that, and depending on what you like you can put as many things as you want. Any man that has lived alone for some time…years…has become an expert in pasta…and sandwiches. He knows, the exact quantities, and the kind of bread that is needed for a good sandwich…and believe me, I spent a lot of time making sandwiches before I decide to start eating something different ….. So, let’s put some rules down.
What makes the IDEAL sandwich?
- Do not over do it! Don’t get too excited and put 20 different kinds of ingredients inside. The worst thing that you can do is try to eat a sandwich with the tomato falling, or the sausage slipping away.
- Baguettes are the ideal bread for a huge sandwich for me but don’t ever underestimate the small toast breads.
- The ingredients for a toast…or a heated up sandwich are different from a cold sandwich. Feta cheese is better cold than warm…You can eat it warm..but it’s not the same.
- If you make one big sandwich…make just one! Do not make two because you will never eat the second and it will go to waste. Don’t get greedy! Been there and done that…
- Don’t overdo it with the sauces, add just enough so they will not drip out of it.
In general, that is my own rules, that you can obvious ignore. To be honest, most of the times when I make a sandwich its with 20 different ingredients and still try to add more.. On the other hand, since this is a cooking blog….hmmm…correction…something like a cooking blog! I have added two different kind of sandwiches that I made with a bit of Greek flavour added.
The Greek Salad Sandwich
Lettuce –tomato- feta cheese-cucumber-olive oil- oregano-chopped onions
Lettuce-tomato-tuna chunk- dill-olive oil-green peppers-onions
Today…cook a sandwich!