A red cauliflower
I never liked cauliflower to be honest, never as an ingredient or in the way that usually it is cooked in Greece….or in general. Nevertheless it is a classic ingredient of the Greek cuisine.
Every ingredient can be cooked in a number of different ways and that is what i learn constantly. My father always prefers to have the cauliflower boiled with some olive oil and lemon i think, which is ok but decided to do something differently after some ideas that i got here and there.
Basically i have always seen people cooking cauliflower with red sauce and it was something that got me intrigued to try it.To be honest it was my second attempt as the first one was a bit too ….”heavy” in taste i think for my likings.
Despite that, you know what they say, if you dont succeed the first time….cook it again! 🙂
CAULIFLOWER WITH RED SAUCE
- A small bunch of cauliflower cut in small pieces
- Can of tomato juice
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Salt , pepper
- Olive oil
- Small bunch of basil trimmed
- Well, in the beginning you will need a frying pan, preferably a deep one. Add some olive oil in it….very few..heat it up and add the onions When they are a bit brownish, add the cauliflower small bunches that you have and stir them around.
- Just when you notice the outer side of the cauliflowers to become a bit brown then add the tomato juice from the can and stir. Add a liiiiiiiitle bit of water and lower the heat and let them bowl slowly.
- Continue with add a bit salt, pepper, oregano, the basil and the cinamon stick. Let them to boil slowly and add a bit of water if necessary. Ideally after 20 minutes they should be really soft and holding there form in the same time