Grilled Pork Souvlakia with oven potatoes
Everyone knows by now how beloved is souvlakia in Greece and how often it is consumed everywhere. In Athens, in Thessaloniki, on the islands, on the small villages…it doesn’t matter. You will hear it sometimes with different names in Greece but always with same style.
One Saturday morning after an excessive alcohol abuse on Friday night, I was so much wishing I could order some to my house like the ones they have in Greece. Didn’t want any pizza, or burger…just a good souvlakia dish. Well, there were some initial problems, first the hangover from last night’s rum and coca cola, and the fact I didn’t had any yogurt or pita bread to try and cook one with the more traditional recipe.
It doesn’t matter; you still can make something nice…as long as you manage to control your hangover.
INGREDIENTS FOR PORK SOUVLAKIA WITH OVEN POTATOES
- 500gr of pork chopped in medium size cubes
- 4-6 skewers’… or anything close to that you can find so you can stick the food, i had to improvise…
- Around 10-15 cherry tomatoes
- 2-3 large potatoes cut in different sizes
- 2 onions chopped in large wedges
- 2 green peppers chopped in large wedges again
- Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper
- Oregano, much of oregano
- Drink a large glass of water to relieve the pain from the headache and then take some painkillers Then we are going to start preparing the potatoes, I found a really nice way for good oven potatoes. Take a big pot and fill it with water, put the potatoes in, bring it to a boil and let them boil for 15 minutes until you see the potatoes are soft you can pinch them with a fork
- When its done, remove the water and keep the potatoes (obviously..) . Add them in to a baking pan and sprinkle with salt and oregano, adding also olive oil so the potatoes are not stuck. Put them into the oven for 200c for 20-25 minutes until you see they start to become brown on the outside.
- As the potatoes are being cooked you take the ingredients and start preparing the souvlakia. As a basic rule, start with a vegetable, and end with a vegetable. Don’t cut the cherry tomatoes in two, as it will remove the juices from them. Put lot of salt, pepper, oregano and oil on them before you start placing them on the skewers.
- When you are finished, add them on the grill and cook them for 15 more minutes turning them every 4-5 minutes from each side. You can keep the potatoes underneath so to keep warm.
Serve them with a bit of parsley if you want, and some sauce of your choice.