Beef stew with Chard and potatoes
Cooking with greens is something really typical in Crete, one of the most traditional islands of Greece. The following beef stew with chard can be found in the island in many variations equally tasty.
Obviously as many recipes, this is a bit changed to my liking. The typical way to cook them is like a fricasee but for this case we are going to alter it a bit. Adding some potatoes will make a bit more “heavy” but still great dish in my opinion.
Ingredients for beef with Chard and potatoes
- 1 kilo of Beef chopped
- 1 kilo of Chard
- 300gr-500gr of small round potatoes chopped in small pieces
- 1 red onion chopped
- Olive, salt, pepper.
- Juice from two lemons
- In a big pot we add olive oil and in high heat we saute the meat from all sides. .
- Lower the heat a bit and add the garlic/onions as well.
- Add the wine and let it boil a bit until it evaporates. Add the vegetable stock as well as the potatoes. . Continue to cook for an hour until the meat is softened. Make sure to add water as appropriate. When the meat is ready make sure though not to have any water left.
- Finally, add the chard. As the greens will release some water continue to boil until they are gone (or are happy with it) .
- Before you remove from the heat add the lemon juice and some thyme. You are ready!