Creamy Chicken with orzo recipe for Winter
The following is a simple recipe but in the same time really delicious that you can have at anytime but especially during winter. Orzo is a traditional ingredient in Greece and you can have it with many variations but most famously know when used for making giouvetsi.
For this case we are going to have a slight different approach and try it with Chicken which should be equally delicious.
INGREDIENTS FOR CHICKEN WITH ORZO
- 3-4 chicken legs
- 1 big red onion finely chopped
- 1 green pepper chopped in cubes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 3/4 of a glass, red wine
- 1 can of tomato juice
- Olive oil
- 300gr of Orzo
- Trimmed parmesan (or similar) Cheese for topping
- In a deep pot we add some olive oil and add the chicken legs in medium heat. We keep them inside until they have a good golden look from all sides. We lower the heat and add the onions with the green pepper.
- When the onions and the peppers get softer we add the garlic, the tomato can, all our seasoning’s and then finally, the wine. We let it boil for 3-4 minutes until the wine evaporates and then add water until it covers all the ingredients. Bring it to a boil and leave it there cooking for 30-40 minutes.
- When the chicken is ready we remove it from the pot and add it to a plate. We add then as much water we need and then pour in our orzo. We continue boiling it for 10-15 minutes or in general for as much as it is needed until our orzo is cooked. We need to be careful that our orzo does not stuck on the pot so we will need to be on top of it. If we add a spoon of olive oil 2 minutes before we remove the orzo will
- When its cooked we remove the orzo and put it in the same plate with our chicken and sprinkle some parmesan cheese on top or parsley.
Serve piping hot!