Red Easter Eggs with Onions
During Easter it is tradition to colour red eggs and eat them after church in Saturday. According to Christian religion is one way to symbolize rebirth. Whatever it may be… Easter eggs are one of my favourite foods during Easter and one that I really enjoy to eat. So much that …sometimes I overdo it with the amount of eggs that I eat.
This year I tried to see how much difficult it would be to paint the eggs using a natural way rather than the new chemical paints that they use. I have to say that I found it rather easy to make the eggs and without a lot of trouble. It was my first time…and quite successful I would say..
So this one is one easy recipe to paint red Easter eggs using onions. 100% natural…
EASTER RED EGGS
- Start with 12 medium-to-small eggs.
- Carefully remove any material clinging to the surface of the eggs.
- Make the dye with the onion skins: In a stainless saucepan, place skins of 15 yellow (Spanish) onions and 2 tablespoons of white vinegar in 4 1/2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Strain dye into a glass bowl, and let cool to room temperature. (Don’t be fooled by the orange color.)
- In a stainless saucepan (around 8 1/4 inches in diameter), add the cooled strained dye and eggs at room temperature (up to 1 dozen). The eggs should be in one layer and covered by the dye.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat. When boiling, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer.
- Dyeing time will be affected by the color of the eggs. Start checking for color at 12-15 minutes. Do not simmer longer than 20 minutes (see step 9 if they aren’t red enough).
- When eggs are the right color, proceed to step 10.
- If eggs are not a red enough color after 20 minutes, leave in the pot and remove from heat. When the pot as cooled enough, place in refrigerator and let sit until desired color is reached.
- Remove eggs with a slotted spoon and cool on racks.
- When they can be handled, coat lightly with olive (or other edible) oil and polish with paper toweling.
- Refrigerate until time to use.